Paper 2: Written productive skills
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Paper 2 is based on the options: cultural diversity, customs and traditions, health, leisure, science and technology.
This paper is externally set and externally assessed. It consists of five tasks requiring different types of texts.
Each task is based on a different option, from which the student chooses one. The student is expected to write 300–480 characters.
The aim of this component is to assess the student’s ability to communicate in writing for a variety of purposes.
It requires the student to demonstrate his or her productive skills. Students’ factual knowledge of the options
will not be tested as such, but can, and should, be used to support what the student wishes to communicate.
Each task requires an answer with a specific text type, such as a formal letter or a report. To this end, students need to identify the purpose(s) of the task in order to use register and style appropriate to the text type.
• use language accurately and appropriately
• develop and organize ideas relevant to the task
• produce the features of the required text type correctly.
Paper 2 requires students to produce text types from the following list.
• Blog/diary entry
• Brochure, leaflet, flyer, pamphlet, advertisement
• Introduction to debate, speech, talk, presentation
• News report
• Official report
• Set of instructions, guidelines
• Written correspondence